So what is needed to lose – lets say – one pound a week? To accomplish this, you have to consume at least 500 calories less per day than you burn. In the following list you will find 18 tips to do exactly this – weight loss with no need for a diet.
- At breakfast, many people have a cup of orange juice. If you eat a whole orange instead and drink a cup of water, you will save approximately 45 calories.
- Many like omelets for breakfast. Replace half of the eggs with egg substitute. To save more calories replace bacon with lean ham.
- For your morning coffee use sugar substitute instead of sugar or try to move away from sugar or sweetener altogether. And don’t use whole milk. Instead, switch to non-fat or low-fat milk.
- You can save about 100 calories if you substitute mayonnaise with mustard – for example on your sandwich. 100 calories is meant as per tablespoon here. That’s a lot. You can eliminate another 100 calories, if you forgo the cheese or at least choose low – fat cheese with your sandwich.
- Be extremely careful with burgers and other so called junk food. A Big Mac or a Fish Mac is delicious mainly because of the used sauces. These sauces consist of mayonnaise and other high – calorie – ingredients. If you don’t want to omit these type of food altogether, at least substitute Bic Macs with plain hamburger. And think twice if you are hungry enough for a large portion of fries. Save about 590 calories just by having a plain hamburger and small fries instead of a Big Mac with large fries.
- So it’s snack time. What do you have? Potato chips, eventually with a dip? For saving calories eat an apple or other fruit instead. Fruit is nonfattening. This is good for weight loss and you have the additional benefit of vitamins and fiber.
- Soft drinks are evil. Even the “light” or “diet” variation of these drinks do have lots of calories. You should drink a lot, but stick to water or mineral water. For a better taste you can have a dash of pure lemon juice. With this you can save more than 200 calories – per drink.
- Eat more. No – not what you think. You should eat more often, but you should have smaller portions, Eat every two or three hours, don’t skip breakfast, drink a lot. With smaller but more frequent meals your blood glucose level remains stable and you will more likely overcome ravenousness and overeating.
- You should eat more often, but what should you eat? Of course you should not have six to eight full meals each day. Have three main meals, but smaller portions and in between you should have smaller, healthy snacks. These snacks may be fresh fruits or dried fruits, cut up vegetables, nuts or yogurt.
- To further reduce calories and fat, try to omit white bread, rice and other highly processed cereals. Instead, turn toward whole grain food. Whole grain food also is a rich supply of fiber, that is very important for the body. Fiber not only supports the digestive process and has many other benefits, it also makes you feel full for a longer period of time.
- Butter is high in fat. Replace it wherever possible. Use nonfat sour cream on potatoes for example or saute meat, chicken or fish in broth or use margarine and try to steam vegetables.
- Be careful with salad dressing. Many dressings use mayonnaise as their base ingredient. Mayonnaise is high in fat and you should definitely choose a nonfat salad dressing.
- Pasta is your favorite? Beware of the sauce! Many pasta sauces are extremely fat and high in calories. Choose one like marinara sauce based on sieved tomatoes with onions and herbs over those oozing with fat.
- Alcohol and weight loss are a bad match. Alcoholic drinks are extremely high in calories. And the numbers explode if you mix alcohol with soft drinks like coke. Omit alcohol, if you want to loose weight. If you are going out with your friends, don’t drink much and don’t use coke and similar soft drinks high in sugar with your drinks. To save calories with alcoholic drinks, switch to dry whine or spritzer. But with alcohol you will definitely sabotage your efforts.
- Watch your portions! Some restaurants mean well with their guests and serve huge portions. Don’t eat all of it. You don’t have to be hungry, but overeating is not the way to go, if you want to lose weight. Save the rest for the next day.
- One key ingredient for weight loss is some form of exercise. But you don’t have to go to the gym or do some strict workout regime. Instead of driving shorter distances, walk. If you go by bus or subway, walk to the next station. Get moving!
- Replace coffee breaks with walking breaks. Use at least half of your lunch break for some kind of exercise or a firm walk. Try to motivate a colleague for working out – or walking – together.
- Exercise, gym, work out… Another maybe more friendly way of physical exercise is swimming. You can burn about 500 calories by swimming for an hour. An additional benefit to weight loss is a more toned body.
A strict diet is not necessary to lose weight. In fact – with a diet alone it is quite hard to lose weight. It is way better to slightly change the way of life. Keep an eye on your eating habits, switch to more healthy meals with less fat and sugar and search for ways to integrate some form of physical exercise into your daily routine. Move your body by swimming, walking, using the bicycle instead of the car. In addition to weight loss you will notice, that your body will be more fit and more healthy.
Thanks for reading 18 Weight Loss Tips – No Need for a Diet, I hope you enjoyed the breakdown.
Please feel free to comment on any questions you may have. Also, if you have a tip not mentioned above, please share it in the comment section below.